INITIAL FORMATION OF LAY DOMINICANS
The purpose of the initial formation program is to introduce prospective members to the Dominican way of living the Christian life, and to allow new members a period of discernment and study without a formal commitment to the Order or to the chapter. During this time, Inquirers and Candidates begin gradually to observe the practices of the Laity. The formation program is broken down into a first year of inquiry or postulancy, and a second year of candidacy or novitiate.
Inquirers into the Dominican Laity must:
- be at least 18 years of age and fully initiated in the Catholic Church for at least two years,
- have a strong commitment to live the Catholic faith,
- have a desire for a deeper relationship with God nurtured through liturgical and private prayer,
- have a stable and moral character capable of persevering in following the Rule and Statutes of the Dominican Laity,
- have a desire to search for truth through prayer and study,
- be active in spreading the Good News through apostolic work, the example of their lives, and formal or informal preaching when the opportunity presents itself,
- be willing to join other lay men and women in prayer, study, and works as a member of a community.
Formation Guidelines [PDF]